Using Public Space at the Capitol Building
NOTICE:Rules governing use of the exterior of the Capitol building, the exterior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities, and the interior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities are below:
- 38.04.06 - Rules Governing Use of the EXTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.07 - Rules Governing Use of the INTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.08 - Rules Governing Use of Idaho State Capitol Exterior
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- When filling out the Public Event Reservation Request form, should I include time for setup and take-down? -- Yes, be sure you request the entire time you need for your event, including setup and takedown/cleanup.
- Can I bring chairs for my event?? -- Yes, you may bring and set up chairs, provided you adhere to the rules HERE, with particular attention to section 301, subsections 01 and 02.
Capitol Building Hours
- During Legislative Sessions:
- Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- During the Interim Between Legislative Sessions:
- Monday - Friday, 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Sunday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Scheduling Public Events on the Jefferson Street Steps or 2nd Floor Rotunda
The Jefferson Street steps and the 2nd floor rotunda may be scheduled through the Department of Administration Facilities Services for public events. By Idaho Code, we are able to reserve these spaces during Capitol building hours as listed above. There is no fee for the use of these two venues at the Capitol building for public events. The Jefferson Street steps may be scheduled for up to four (4) hours, and the 2nd floor rotunda may be scheduled for up to eight (8) hours, including set up and take down. If requested one (1) week in advance, a podium, public address system, and electrical outlet may be made available for events on the Jefferson Street steps. The public address system has a one (1) hour time limit and must not be moved by the user. Public address systems are not permitted for events on the interior of the Capitol Building in order to minimize disruptions to offices conducting business. The event must provide any other items needed, including extension cords, tables, chairs, and so forth.
Scheduling Procedures (Jefferson Street Steps and 2nd Floor Rotunda)
The following information and procedures are applicable to the scheduling of public events on the Jefferson Street steps or the 2nd floor rotunda at the Capitol building ONLY. Individuals or organizations seeking to schedule events at the Capitol building must:
- Familiarize themselves with the IDAPA Rules for the Idaho State Capitol
- Sign and submit a Public Event Reservation Request
A completed request form can be submitted to Facilities Services:
- in person: 502 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID
- by mail: P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0072
- by fax: 208.334.4031
- by email: CapitolBuildingFrontSteps@adm.idaho.gov
For questions on the request form, process for requesting an event, or to ask if a certain date or time is available for your event, email CapitolBuildingFrontSteps@adm.idaho.gov. Upon confirmation by Facilities Services and receipt (by mail, fax, or in person) of a completed Public Event Reservation Request form, your event is considered officially scheduled, and a confirmation number will be provided. NOTE: The State reserves the right to cancel a scheduled event if the location is required for an official State function, including but not limited to use by an elected official. In such case, Facilities Services will notify the contact person as soon as possible, and every effort will be made to reschedule the event.
Scheduling Public Events on the 4th Floor or Capitol Meeting Rooms
For scheduling public events on the 4th floor of the Capitol building, contact either the President Pro Tem of the Senate's office at 332-1302, or the Speaker of the House's office at 332-1111. See these guidelines for more information.
For information on scheduling Meeting Rooms in the Capitol, including the Capitol Auditorium, refer to the details available on the Legislature’s website at: http://legislature.idaho.gov/capitol/capitol_building.htm.
Events on Other Capitol Mall Properties
Events on Capitol Mall properties other than the Capitol Building do not require completion of the Public Event Reservation Request form. Individuals or organizations wishing to hold events on Capitol Mall properties should familiarize themselves with IDAPA Rules for the Interior of Capitol Mall Buildings and IDAPA Rules for the Exterior of Capitol Mall Buildings.