Reserving Space at the Capitol Building for Public Events
Capitol Building Hours
- During Legislative Sessions (generally Jan-Mar):
- Mon-Fri, 6am-10pm
- Sat-Sun, 9am-5pm
- During the Interim Between Legislative Sessions (generally Apr-Dec):
- Mon-Fri, 6am-6pm
- Sat-Sun, 9am-5pm
NOTICE:Rules governing use of the exterior of the Capitol building, the exterior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities, and the interior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities are below:
- 38.04.06 - Rules Governing Use of the EXTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.07 - Rules Governing Use of the INTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.08 - Rules Governing Use of Idaho State Capitol Exterior
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- When filling out the Public Event Reservation Request form, should I include time for setup and take-down? -- Yes, be sure you request the entire time you need for your event, including setup and takedown/cleanup.
- Can I bring chairs for my event? -- Yes, you may bring and set up chairs, provided you adhere to the rules HERE, with particular attention to section 301, subsections 01 and 02.
South Steps and 2nd Floor Rotunda: Information
Public events taking place on the Jefferson Street Steps (south side of Capitol) and the 2nd floor rotunda are scheduled by the Department of Administration Facilities Services. There is no fee for the use of these spaces.
RESERVATION PERMIT: By Idaho Code, we are able to issue reservation permits for these spaces during Capitol building hours as listed on the right. The Jefferson Street Steps may be scheduled for up to four (4) hours, and the 2nd floor rotunda may be scheduled for up to eight (8) hours, including set up and take down.
EQUIPMENT: If requested in advance, a lectern and a portable (battery powered) public address system may be made available for events on the Jefferson Street steps (pending availability). This equipment must not be moved by the user. Public address systems are not permitted for events on the interior of the Capitol building (rotunda) in order to minimize disruptions to offices conducting business. Other items, such as extension cords, tables, and chairs must be provided by the event organizer.
ELECTRICAL ACCESS: Scheduled public events may utilize 120-volt electrical access on either side of the steps. However, event organizers must provide all necessary equipment (extension cords and outlets or power strips) in order to run electricity from these outlets to the steps. At least 50 feet of extension cord is recommended.
South Steps and 2nd Floor Rotunda: Scheduling Instructions
- Familiarize yourself with the IDAPA Rules for the Idaho State Capitol and the guidelines etablished by the House and Senate. (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!)
- Sign and submit a Public Event Reservation Request Form [PDF] in one of the following ways:
- * BEST METHOD: email it to CapitolEvent@adm.idaho.gov
- * Mail: P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0072
- * Fax: 208.334.4031
- * In person: 502 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID (office hours Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, except holidays)
For questions of any sort, , email CapitolBuildingFrontSteps@adm.idaho.gov or call 208-332-1930. When you receive your request form back with a confirmation number, your event is scheduled. NOTE: We reserve the right to cancel a scheduled event if the location is required for an official State function, including but not limited to use by an elected official. In such case, Facilities Services will notify you and every effort will be made to help you reschedule your event.
Capitol Meeting Rooms and other areas in the Capitol
SCHEDULING: Contact either...
- The President Pro Tem of the Senate's office at 332-1302, or
- The Speaker of the House's office at 332-1111
- How to Schedule Rooms, Events and Exhibits
Events on Other Capitol Mall Properties
Events on Capitol Mall properties other than the Capitol Building do not require completion of the Public Event Reservation Request form. Individuals or organizations wishing to hold events on Capitol Mall properties should familiarize themselves with IDAPA Rules for the Interior of Capitol Mall Buildings and IDAPA Rules for the Exterior of Capitol Mall Buildings.