Capitol Building Public Event Reservation
For reserving one of these two locations only:
- Idaho State Capitol Front Steps (south side, facing Jefferson Street)
- 2nd floor rotunda (interior of building)
No other spaces/areas are included in this reservation procedure.
- Areas on the exterior of the Capitol building aside from the FRONT STEPS cannot be reserved, though they may be used (see the rules).
- To reserve other areas inside the Capitol building, see: Legislature.idaho.gov/Capitol.
STEP 1: READ THIS INFORMATION
MANDATORY: Read the following information. You are required to understand and abide by the rules and information below when you hold a public event at the Idaho State Capitol Building. If you have any questions about this information, email us before you proceed: CapitolEvent@adm.idaho.gov.
Rules for use:
- CAPITOL FRONT STEPS: Rules Governing Use of the Idaho State Capitol EXTERIOR
- CAPITOL ROTUNDA: Guidelines for Use of the Idaho State Capitol INTERIOR at Legislature.Idaho.gov/Capitol
Important Notes & Useful Info:
- Is a reservation required? A reservation permit is NOT required for public use of the State Capitol. "A Permit grants a reservation providing priority for use of the area," but public use is permitted without a permit "...subject to the provisions of these rules, on a firstcome, first used basis." [IDAPA 38.04.08, Section 400.01]
- Weddings, receptions, etc...? As per the "Guidelines for Use of the Idaho State Capitol INTERIOR" linked above, "The Capitol building cannot be reserved for private events (weddings, receptions, proms, parties, and so forth)." Weddings and other ceremonies do take place in the building, and are not prohibited per se. The rules simply do not allow reservations for such events.
- Is there a fee for use? There is no fee for either reservationns or allowed use of the Capitol Building.
- Is parking allowed in the curved driveway? No, parking is not allowed in the curved driveways in front of the Capitol [DIAGRAM].
- Where can I park to unload? Your best bet it probably metered City parking along Jefferson Street.
- Is there a loading elevator inside the Capitol? The east rotunda elevator is larger, and more accomodating for loading in.
- What equipment can the State provide? For reserved events only, a lectern and a portable (battery powered) public address system may be made available for a reservation on the Jefferson Street steps (pending availability). The lectern and PA system will be set up 15 minutes prior to the event start time, on the middle landing of the Front Steps [DIAGRAM] or on the north side of the 2nd Floor Rotunda (unless you request a different location). This equipment may not be moved by the user. Public address systems are not permitted for reservations in the Rotunda in order to minimize disruptions to offices conducting business. We cannot provide this equipment without an event reservation. NOTE: The PA system we can provide is adequate for small events, but may not be sufficient for larger events. You are encouraged to bring other equipment as suitable for your needs.
- Can the State provide tables, chairs, and other equipment? Aside from the items listed above, we are not able to provide other equipment for your event. You are welcome to bring chairs, tables, or other equipment as needed. When using the rotunda, please be sure feet and other points contacting marble floors are padded to protect the marble from damage.
- May I move furnishings inside the Capitol? No, you may NOT move any existing Capitol furnishings, including the benches around the rotunda.
- Is there electricity I can use on the Front Steps? For use by reseved events on the Front Steps only, there is 120-volt electrical access on either side of the steps [DIAGRAM]. You will need to provide necessary cords and other supplies as needed for your event. We recommend at least 50 feet of extension cord.
- Closure for maintenance: Notice of closure of public space for maintenance is posted at http://cms.idaho.gov/grounds.
Complete and submit the form:
After we receive your form, it will be reviewed and processed within two business days.
You will receive a confirmation by email in the form of a calendar event invitation with your completed permit attached. It is wise to print and bring this permit with you to your event, though it is not required.
Reserving Other Areas Inside the Capitol Building
The center open area inside the Capitol Building is the rotunda. There are reservable spaces on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th floors of the rotunda. The rotunda as a whole is an open space, and sound carries readily between all floors. In order to be sure a public event on one floor isn't impacted by sound from another, all three floors are treated as a single reservable space. If there is a reservation on the 1st floor, another event may not reserve the 2nd floor during that same time, and so on. Although the rotunda is treated as a single open space for the purposes of reservation, the 1st and 4th floors reservations are handled by the Legislature while the 2nd floor reservations are handled by the Department of Administration.
For information about reserve the 1st or 4th floor rotunda for public events, see the information at Legislature.idaho.gov/Capitol
Events on Other Capitol Mall Properties
Events on Capitol Mall properties other than the Capitol Building do not require completion of the Public Event Reservation Request form. Individuals or organizations wishing to hold events on Capitol Mall properties should familiarize themselves with the appropriate rules listed under "Rules & Policies" in the right sidebar of this page.