Reserving Space at the Capitol Building for Public Events
Capitol Building Hours
- During Legislative Sessions (generally Jan-Mar):
- Mon-Fri, 6am-10pm
- Sat-Sun and Holidays 9am-5pm
- During the Interim Between Legislative Sessions (generally Apr-Dec):
- Mon-Fri, 6am-6pm
- Sat-Sun and Holidays 9am-5pm
NOTICE:Rules governing use of the exterior of the Capitol building, the exterior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities, and the interior of state property in the Capitol Mall and other state facilities are below:
- 38.04.06 - Rules Governing Use of the EXTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.07 - Rules Governing Use of the INTERIOR of State Property in the Capitol Mall and Other State Facilities (excluding the Idaho State Capitol)
- 38.04.08 - Rules Governing Use of Idaho State Capitol Exterior
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- When filling out the Public Event Reservation Request form, should I include time for setup and take-down? -- Yes, be sure you request the entire time you need for your event, including setup and takedown/cleanup.
- Can I bring chairs for my event? -- Yes, you may bring and set up chairs, provided you adhere to the rules HERE, with particular attention to section 301, subsections 01 and 02.
South Steps and 2nd Floor Rotunda: Information
The Department of Administration may schedule a reservation for a public event taking place on the Jefferson Street Steps (south side of Capitol) and the Capitol Building 2nd floor rotunda. There is no fee for this reservation.
RESERVATION PERMIT: A reservation may be made for a time period within the hours as listed on the right. A reservation for the Jefferson Street Steps may be made for up to four (4) hours, and for the 2nd floor Rotunda for up to eight (8) hours.
EQUIPMENT: If requested in advance, a lectern and a portable (battery powered) public address system may be made available for a reservation on the Jefferson Street steps (pending availability). If requested, the lectern and PA system will be set up 15 minutes prior to the event start time, on the middle landing (unless you request a different location). This equipment may not be moved by the user. Public address systems are not permitted for reservations on the interior of the Capitol building (rotunda) in order to minimize disruptions to offices conducting business. Any other items needed by the reservation requestor, including extension cords, tables, or chairs, must be provided by the requestor.
ELECTRICAL ACCESS: Scheduled public reservations may utilize 120-volt electrical access on either side of the steps. However, the organizer must provide all necessary equipment (extension cords and outlets or power strips) in order to run electricity from these outlets to the steps. At least 50 feet of extension cord is recommended.
South Steps and 2nd Floor Rotunda: Reservation Instructions
- Familiarize yourself with the IDAPA Rules for the Idaho State Capitol (exterior) and the Capitol Usage Guidelines [PDF] (interior) etablished by the House and Senate. (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!)
- Sign and submit a Public Event Reservation Request Form [PDF] in one of the following ways:
- * BEST METHOD: email it to CapitolEvent@adm.idaho.gov
- * Mail: P.O. Box 83720, Boise, ID 83720-0072
- * Fax: 208.334.4031
- * In person: 502 N. 4th Street, Boise, ID (office hours Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, except holidays)
For questions of any sort, email CapitolEvent@adm.idaho.gov or call 208-332-1930. You will receive, by email, a calendar invite with your completed request form, which serves as your reservation permit. At this point, your reservation is officially scheduled.
NOTE: We reserve the right to cancel a scheduled reservation if the location is required for an official State function, including but not limited to use by an elected official. In such case, Facilities Services will notify you and every effort will be made to help you reschedule your reservation.
Capitol Meeting Rooms and other areas in the Capitol
SCHEDULING: Contact either...
- The President Pro Tem of the Senate's office at 332-1302, or
- The Speaker of the House's office at 332-1111
- How to Schedule Rooms, Events and Exhibits
Events on Other Capitol Mall Properties
Events on Capitol Mall properties other than the Capitol Building do not require completion of the Public Event Reservation Request form. Individuals or organizations wishing to hold events on Capitol Mall properties should familiarize themselves with IDAPA Rules for the Interior of Capitol Mall Buildings and IDAPA Rules for the Exterior of Capitol Mall Buildings.