PLEASE NOTE! We have trees already selected for 2022. As such, the next evaluation time will be August 2023.
If you’d like to have your tree considered for a future Idaho Capitol Holiday Tree, please read the information below.
Acceptable tree specifications:
- Species: Blue Spruce with a single leader (i.e. only one “peak” stem/trunk point)
- Height: Between 30 and 50 feet
- Location: Boise, closer to Capitol Bldg preferred
The selection process:
- We begin evaluating candidate trees every August.
- We generally have a final decision by the end of August.
- When we select a tree, we contact the donor to confirm it’s still available.
- When confirmed, we begin project planning.
Cutting and Transport:
- Cutting takes place (generally) Monday on Thanksgiving week.
- Crews gather at 9am, and the tree is generally cut and ready to move by 10-11am.
- The tree is transported to the Capitol Building and erected that day.
- We will schedule with you to have the stump ground down.
- You are welcome to watch the cutting and placement from a safe distance.
Decoration and Lighting:
- Decoration takes approximately 4-5 days.
- The lighting ceremony is generally the Monday after cutting.
To submit your tree for consideration:
- Take photographs of the tree, showing both sides. Be sure to include the surrounding area.
- Email the photos, with answers to the questions below, to: email@example.com
- Your name
- Your phone number
- Address of tree